Conquering the WIP pile


I’ve been a weird combination of highly motivated / can’t be bothered to sew for several years, which has resulted in a bunch of partially completed projects. Why finish a project when you can start a new one?! I’ve also accumulated a small pile of things that needed minor fitting tweaks, which are never as exciting as starting a fresh project.

But a couple weeks ago, I’d apparently had enough and dedicated a Sunday to tackling the stack. I set a goal of completing or fixing five doom pile projects and, to my utter shock, completed four. Here’s what I did…

The first garment was this Seamwork Madhu that simply needed longer lengths of elastic in the sleeves. The sleeves were squeezing my arms, so I’d stopped wearing it.

I had already unpicked and replaced the elastic but lost steam when it came to stitching up a grand total of 1 inch on the casings. While I had white thread in my machine, I also put some tacks in the neckline elastic to keep it in place.

The second project was a also a Madhu, but an Ace & Jig inspired hack! I raised the neckline, lengthened the sleeves, modified the waist hem, and planned to finish the neckline and sleeves with bias binding.

All the construction was completed but I’d pooped out at the finishing steps, including creating the bias tape. I’m pretty pleased with this hack!

Next, was this top. It’s the Seamwork Aims and while it looks flipping cute on others, I’ve learned I don’t feel great in tops with even the slightest amount of poof at the shoulders. But I wanted to finish it, even if it ultimately gets donated. It needed the hem and placket stitched, plus buttons and buttonholes. It’s a little yeehaw but I’m kinda into it?

The last thing I was able to squeeze into this weekend WIP party was taking in the center back seam on this Isola jumpsuit. My fabric kinda bagged out and was flapping in the wind making me not want to wear them. It was a subtle change but made a big difference!

The following weekend I was still riding the WIP pile high and decided to fix the fit on these Shop Pants. Despite previously making these in the same fabric (just a different dye) the fit was completely different at the back waist. I had also placed the back belt loop off center and was happy to have the opportunity to fix it. I took about an inch out of the center back and was able to hide all the backstitching under the belt loops. I’m so excited to have another pair since I wear this pair all the time!

And then this past weekend I tackled this incredibly old WIP. It’s seriously old, like multiple years old. These canvas Pomona pants needed the inseam, hems, and waistband sewn. After finishing them, I unpicked the front patch pocket because it looked weird.

Believe it or not, there are still WIPs to be finished! And I’m committing to not starting any new projects (except for simple pointelle t-shirts, I gotta have some fun) until the pile is conquered!

5 Replies to “Conquering the WIP pile”

  1. Love the plaid top! That fabric is great – if you felt the energy, you could change the poofy sleeves..but I know how that goes.

  2. Wow, this is great motivation to address my pile of projects which need fixing. I’ve been considering making a Madhu, but I don’t like the elastic at the bottom, so really love your Ace & Jig-inspired one. Also like the longer, bias-bound sleeve & collar. Takes it from a strictly fun & summery top to one I would wear way more often. Has a touch of elegance.

  3. You make such lovely things!!! Whether they end up to your taste or not. Very, er, inspirational ❤️❤️❤️❤️ Totally gonna go for it. With my (# fill in the blank) sewing WIPs. 🤣😊👍🏽

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Discover more from NOT A PRIMARY COLOR

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading